Smarter Power Distribution
ST-Ericsson has introduced an array of innovations designed to optimize the distribution of power within a mobile device. For example, ST-Ericsson has developed:
- Dual DC-DC regulators, which share the same external coil, reducing the size and cost of the circuit board.
- Multi-phase DC-DC, able to deliver high current needed to supply next generation high-speed processor, maximizing the power efficiency and transient performances.
- Cap-less LDO: A linear, or non-switching, regulator without any external components.
- 6MHz DC-DC: A high-frequency switching regulator that enables the use of a smaller and cheaper external coil.
- Boost-bypass: A patented solution that can reduce the number of switching regulators needed in a device, saving space and reducing cost.
- Specific DC-DC for RF Power Amplifier that improves battery life time by 60%, enhancing the experience of the connected users.
Moreover, ST-Ericsson has also developed one of the most efficient DC-DC switched-mode power supplies that uses an advanced process to minimize the number of parasitic components, enabling the conversion of energy with minimal loss and capacity to react as fast as required by new generation processors.